Center city Philadelphia is not the place to be when an earthquake decides to roll through.
I had my appointment with my oncologist today. Not sure which was more earth shattering, the quake or my news!
I woke up slightly agitated this morning. I didn't have to wonder why.
I was headed down to Jeff to meet with my doctor. This wonderful man made it a point to call me after each and every test last week to read my results over the phone and try to make sense of all the numbers and gibberish that I didn't quite understand. Today I was meeting him face to face. I have not met with either surgeon yet, as they called to reschedule my appointments until next week. I won't have the full picture until then.
As we were leaving the house I checked myself in the mirror and the white of my one eye was completely red with streaks of blood, it still is. When I had my pressure taken, it was much higher than normal. I usually have a very low blood pressure number and the doctor attributed it to my nervousness,"white-coat anxiety", that will give you an idea of my anxiety level~"red alert!"
I made my rounds through the infusion floor, hugging all my chemo nurses and saying hello to everyone I know. "You look great" "Love your hair!" Everyone was so sweet.
My doctor came in and sat down, I love that about him. He is there until I stop asking questions, his focus of attention is on me. Which I really appreciate.
We went over each and every test, he gave me a copy of everything and we went step by step.
While there is an increase in the spot on my liver, he takes the reports as good news. The Cancer did NOT spread! There are no new spots or tumors. He made several points: my blood work is all normal, even my CEA which is a big factor was till the same, I feel good, actually I feel so good it is very hard to believe this is still in my body.
I look good, I am told this over and over again (Thank You).
He told me we have to look at the whole picture and treat each symptom individually. So I will meet with my liver surgeon next Friday and decide the course of action about the liver.
The PT/CAT scans showed an increase of activity where the tumor was in the colon so I will meet with the colon surgeon on Wednesday and have an exam (can't wait) and we will make a decision about that too.
Although I am still up in the air about all of this, I came home feeling optimistic.
He told me I am an informed patient, a good patient, a sophisticated patient. I am keeping an eye (granted a bloodshot one) on my health and tests, gathering all the information and making informed decisions. He feels positively and consequently so do I.
So we left with optimism, amidst an earthquake.
I will meet with both surgeons next week and then decide on a course of action. It can be wait and see attitude as well as a more aggressive attitude.
One thing he did tell me today when I asked him point blank~"Am I being stupid?" is that he can tell that keeping my life as normal as possible will have the best effect on this disease. He knows my work, my classes, my trips are important to me and he reiterated this over and over, saying we will work around you, keep doing what you are doing, it serves me well.
That is the best news I heard all day!
Flavors of Calabria: Amarelli Licorice
6 months ago