Friday, February 6, 2009

STREGA NONA




Grandmom , Nona , Mimi or Nanny , it doesn't matter what name they call you ~being a grandparent is a very special feeling ... I was a young mom .. had my son at 20 and my daughter when I was 24 .. during that time I didn't know much myself and it is amazing to me that I now have two wonderful grown children .. I always felt kids should come with an instruction manual but no .. life is it's own teacher and so I learned as I went .. now comes the good part ~I am a grandmother to 5 beautiful boys !

I treasure every moment with them , teaching them to cook ~ we make gnocchi.. teaching them to bake ~ we make cookies ! and also just sitting down and reading to them ,trying to give them a sense of family and friends.

This past Christmas I was given a wonderful gift by the two young ladies , Peggy & Megan ,who help me with my cooking classes..... they gave me STREGA NONA. The Story of Strega Nona & Big Anthony has become a favorite with my grandsons .. I read it to them every day ! It is a heartwarming story of an Italian grandmom witch who lives in Calabria .The story focus on FAMIGLIA (family) ,MANGIA ( eating ) AMICI ,( friends )PAZIENZE, ( patience) CELEBRAZIONE (celebrations)& AMORE ( love )~ All of my favorite things !

Strega Nona says " A magical life begins with family " ~" Eating together brings joy"~
"Remember your friends and they will remember you "~"Patience is not always easy "~"Always share your love and it will bring you a magical life "
and this is my favorite "The most important celebration is life itself "

We are often swept away with a busy life but we can all learn something ..even from a children's book !So listen to Strega Nona .. make time for family and friends .. eating wonderful food .. celebrate life little pleasures and remember to have patience !!! You too can bring magic to your life !

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post Susan. The pix of the kids are great and grouped together they tell a wonderful story. The Inspiration post was just that for me. I read it at a time when I really needed it. It's good to know you're out there with sunshine for everybody.
    Thanks for the soul vitamins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan. I'm really enjoying the blog. The inspiration post was just that for me and I read it at a point when I really needed it. The pix of the kids are great and grouped together tell the whole story. It's nice to know you're out there with enough sunshine for the rest of us.
    Thanks for the soul vitamins!

    ReplyDelete